Given that Covid-19 has had a wide impact on economic aspect, the Executive Yuan announced on April 8, 2020 that the rent of state-owned non-public use real estate is to be reduced by 20% for this year. Therefore, the National Property Administration, Ministry of Finance (hereinafter referred to as NPA) has made an inventory of the state-owned non-public use land that has been operated by the party entrusted by NPA or on which the encumbrance of superficies has been set by NPA in response to the impact caused by Covid-19, and decided to reduce the rent by 20% on April 23 accordingly. NPA also has considered that the state-owned public real estate managed by various agencies that has been leased out or provided for use according to the proviso of Article 28 of the National Property Act and the "Revenue Directions for National Public Use Real Estate" formulated and issued by Ministry of Finance must be handled accordingly. So, the measures to reduce rent and allow late payment in response to the epidemic situation was reported to and approved by the Ministry of Finance on April 27, to ease the burden for people and enterprises.
The key measures related to state-owned real estate in response to the epidemic situation are described as follows:
1. The "state-owned non-public use real estate" managed by NPA:
(1) Rent reduction: Except for the rent collected at the rent rate approved specially by the Executive Yuan or the statutory taxes and fees (such as land value tax, etc.) clearly stipulated by laws (orders), the rent payable, concession fee, and land rent for this year will be automatically reduced by 20%, the legal users are not required to submit application, and the overpaid amount shall be refunded with no interest or deducted from the payable. As for the land used for joint improvement and utilization, the competent authority in charge of the business concerned shall determine the reduction rate at its discretion, but the part allocated to the Branches of NPA shall not be less than the tax and fee payable.
(2) Late payment of rent: Holders of use right in need of late payment of rent (including superficies rent and consigned operation concession fee) may apply for the extension of the deadline for rent payment for this year according to the contract to the end of this year, with no default penalty or interest charged.
2. For the "state-owned public use real estate" managed by various agencies that has been leased out or provided for use according to the National Property Act, the management agency may reduce the rent and utilization fee (hereinafter referred to as the consideration payable) or allow late payment at its discretion according to the circumstances of each case:
(1) Reduction: The management agency shall determine the reduction rate, but the consideration payable after the reduction shall not be less than the actual tax and fees borne by the management agency; and the overpaid amount shall be refunded with no interest or deducted from the next term consideration payable.
(2) Late payment: Holders of use right in need of late payment of consideration payable may apply for the extension of the deadline for rent payment for this year to the end of this year, with no default penalty or interest charged.
(3) Other considerations such as concession fees collected by the management agency: it is entitled to deal with the matters of rent reduction or late payment.
Contact person for press release: Wang Caiyei, Chief Secretary of National Property Administration
Contact Tel: 02-27718121 ext.1005